it was as much my fault as theirs
every night we battle the same battle
I want the girls to change into PJs
they want to mess around doing anything but getting dressed for bed.
and I have to ask
again
and
again
and
again
and tonight
well - patience was thin
I was tired tired tired
and
when after I asked AGAIN for them to get changed
and KittyKat came in looking for some tape
I told her NO -- GO GET CHANGED
which made her burst into tears.
She wanted tape for her photo frame
and
well - it was a rough day for them
KK ran to her room and slammed the door
Foxy Loxy ran to her room as well.
I let the dust settle
then went in to see FL
who was hiding under the covers
I made her get up and brush her teeth
then asked if she wanted a story
she did
but wanted it while she had the covers over her head
no dice
you can have one -- or the other
"I'm not mad at you - -but I'm not reading to you if you're not paying attention"
she opted for the story -- and we had a nice story time
before we finished KK wanted her story - -and I promised to come in as soon as I was done with the Diary of the Wimpy kid chapter with FL.
KK is reading a Junie B book - -well - I'm reading it - I make Junie B sound like one of my
finally - way later than it should have been
everyone was asleep
we are all over tired
the early morning expedition I had planned I have cancelled -- sleep is what we need.
period
hopefully when this posts -- we'll be riding our bikes somewhere -- or at the movies -- doing something fun.
but right now? I need to get on my knees (writing this at 10:41pm) and get on with my assignments before I miss my bedtime too
sfp
The never ever ending battles with the kiddos. I do understand where you are coming from, and it is good that there are up with the downs.
ReplyDeleteI hope you all got the rest you needed, and had a splendid day.
@Anna May -- well - we're a bit better -- but at this point -- she's been reminded that she gets an allowance and can buy pencils out of that.
Deletesfp
Im not sure of their ages but what worked with my daughter (not my son though) was a sticker chart, for putting pj's on first time asked then one sticker would be earnt for example, they can be given for other things as well...if at the end of the week there were 10 stickers collected there would be an agreed upon treat.
ReplyDeleteHopefully all are rested including yourself.
@tori -- yeah -- I think we're going to implement this very change.
Deletesfp
my advice - though you didn't actually ask...
ReplyDeleteis that you start a bit earlier for bedtime. A
And really pay attention to whether they are getting it done, don't just go off and do something else. Stand there, and watch, one at a time if need be.
Sometimes trying to multi-task, which is what we do all the time as parents, doesn't work.
-sin (who has lived this adventure)
I agree with sin. We're going through the same stuff with our daughter (she's 7) and unless we stand there and watch, she won't get ready. We also have her starting to get ready for bed right after dinner now. Once she's ready for bed, she can relax and read a book or whatever, but no playing. It's settling down/relaxing time. This seems to have been helping most nights. A sticker chart may work as well. I was considering starting a chore/task chart that will include her getting ready for and into bed on time. Just know this lack of sleep and delaying bedtime thing is quite common. You're not alone!
Delete*hugs*
Turiya
@Sin -
Deleteyes -- we've started earlier - and part of this is me trying to give them a bit of their own space - as they've gone from running amok to being micromanaged - but I'm tired of being at war with them
so something's got to change
sfp
@Turiya - hm -- that's a thought -- PJs just being part of the post dinner time.
Deletesfp
I am so sorry you had a frustrating night. I can really relate to this post. There are some nights when I feel that what comes out of my mouth is an endless stream of:
ReplyDelete"What are you supposed to be doing right now?"
"What was your direction?" or
"You can do that when you have done what I have asked you to do."
I hope you found time for a bike ride, or a movie, or just five minutes to decompress.
Best wishes-
L
@Lucky Elle - I think this is the first time you've commented - thank you so much for saying hello!
Deleteyes -- I feel like the worst nag in the world.
thanks for the support
sfp
re nagging - my kids say that if I had a super power, it would be the power of "nag". I think they sort of say it fondly - like they are pleased to be able to joke with me about it. Sigh... I don't actually think I nag that much, but I guess this does not reflect a consensus opinion.
Delete-sin
Think of it as a posative sign. If the girls did not fell safe and secure they would be quite and not pushing you. All kids are the same. I like the description of Junie B. Hope you had a good sleep with sweet dreams
ReplyDeleteHugs Ashly xx
@Ashly
Deleteoh - good point!
I'm going to remember that.
and - -I secretly love Junie B and will be sad when we pass on from her
sfp