(NOTE TO THE READERS -- I'm in a bloggy mood today -- I posted the next chapter of the Lorena/Orion story yesterday -- and you may not have read it yet -- Lorena's in deep y'all. And a post about last night -- I recommend you read HOPES AND FEARS before this post -- and catch up on Lorena's adventures -- the next chapter goes up around 6pm today)
So -- about this class I took
and I wish I could do it justice
but I was too busy being in the moment to get all the terminology right -- and frankly - -the venue was really difficult for me
there at the dungeon -- there are a lot of distracting sights and sounds
and I was there for the class.
The man who teaches the class is a hypotherapist & life coach -- he mostly does the -- stopsmokinghypnolapband stuff
which -- I don't know how I feel about all of that -- he also does NLP stuff --but -- I'm not really here to write about this
He was talking essentially about how you perceive the world -- and what senses you use to connect with the world -- and what senses you are LEAST connected to.
and it was fascinating.
so think about how you connect with the world -- how you learn -- how you communicate
Audibly -- how things sound, the use of language
Visually -- how they look -- is it visually appealing -- does it have pattern and order
Kinesthetically - -How it feels -- sensation -- touch -- and not just touch but how it feels emotionally
So we took a quiz that helped you to sort out who you are -- and you can be different things in different situations -- because we have learned to adapt and turn things on and off.
He asked the group to think about who they are in PLAY -- but I just focused on who I am in my normal social life
He then provided us with examples -- he brought up someone who was a KAV -- meaning she is most comfortable with feelings and touch -- and VERY uncomfortable visually -- and made her stand in front of the group
which was visibly painful for her
he didn't torture her for long -- and actually let her turn her back a bit and petted her shoulder so she could relax.
so big shocker
I'm an AVK
I am all about words -- and talking -- and disassociate with touch.
I have a HUGE FUCKING BUBBLE -- and always thought this made me a freak
and people don't get it
I don't want you to touch me unless I trust you
and know it's coming
so it's not that I'm not a hugger
well
it IS that I'm not a hugger
but
that it's overwhelming for me -- it's too much input of something that I have a hard time processing
additionally - it makes touch very special to me
because I don't touch people or allow them to touch me very much. I can remember almost all of the times when I touch people who are not in the inner circle.
oh
who's in the inner circle?
um
M
and any of the children in my care
yeah
that's it
So I left his class full of "AHA!"
an OH --
because one of the reasons that being at the dungeon is hard on my nerves tis that the room is filled with KVAs and KAVs
who all want to experience their world by touching it
**shudders**
(PS -- as you read the rest of Lorena's adventures -- consider that if I'm AVK -- Lorena's AVK -- and it might just explain why she does the things she does -- (veeeery interesting -- **stroking my imaginary beard))
Wow! That IS fascinating.
ReplyDeleteThat would be an interesting quiz to take.
I wonder if casual touch comes into it at all? Cuz I find I have a line between casual touch, which I don't mind (I think because it still happens at arms length) and the more personal touch that kind of closes in on you and makes me want to start dancing backwards as I swat madly...
Anyhow, I think it's great that you're working on making a party hat for the social gnome. I sure as shootin' can't push myself quite that way. But maybe when you become wildly successful at it, I'll start to believe it can work... (you role model, you!)
(wow. I really blathered on this one, didn't I? Sorry!)
well -- the idea is that you're different in different situations -- in play with your partner -- you would be one thing
Deleteor with people you are very comfortable with
at work you may be something else
and the healthy thing is to know the natural state for your and your partner
so for example -- if you were my partner and I was super upset - you wouldn't want to hug me -- because I would hate that --
but someone else might be STARVING for it.
sfp
Very interesting. i'd love to take the quiz too, although i would predict that i'm AVK, but then i dont' know, cause i'm very open to emotions, and believe it or not, not so much to touch from lots of people. Although...
ReplyDeleteo, never mind.
I admire your courage, and respect your daring.
hugs,
aisha
He said he was going to post the attachments -- if he does I will share (if allowed)
Deletesfp
I am a huge bundle of i-have-no-idea-what-i-would-be-because-i-want-it-all-and-also-want-none-of-it. I HATE people in my space.. I am not a hugger, and only special people get to hug me (LOL) and yet, with Husband if we are in the same room I am touching him (or He me) in some way. I don't even like being in strange places or to have people in my home that I dont know well. It causes me a mild-moderate amount of anxiety. Especially people in my spcae/home. I also want to see everything, but dont want anyone to see me seeing it. LOL I also dislike talking with people. LOL Anything beyond a random 'How about that weather?!' with strangers makes me highly uncomfortable. Though no one knows that. I am extremely adept at hiding my discomfort, and actually speak very very well in public, and apparently am good at making people feel comfy and welcomed (who knew?!). I am often asked to speak at fundraising functions for my old place of work, which means greeting potential donors, and schmoozing with them. *gag* I hate it, but I do it because they need me to. I have saidall of that hating strangers stuff, and hating being touched, and yet I LOVE going Christmas shopping on like Dec 20th. The hustle and bustle crazy crowdedness... LOVE it. I'm a weird anomoly, I know. I admire your courage to have gone to the dungeon on your own, feeling like an outsider and then staying... Gah I wouldnt have ever step foot in the door. No-way-no-how. I honestly feel like if it was something Husband would really ask me to do and expect me to, I would safe word out. My anxiety about it would be that high. So kudos for being bravem going, staying, and also learning something!!
ReplyDeleteHaha, I just reread that and my brain is a crowded, crowded, busy place!
@HLA - lol feel better now? Thank you for commenting -- it actually sounds like you flex your style well
Deletesfp
I do actually LOL Here I was thinking I was a weirdo, but I guess maybe I do flex 'my style' whatever that is pretty well. LOL
Deletewell that's cook. I wonder what I am. My first thing is words. So I'm an A... But then what? Dunno. Maybe V. Maybe AVK.
ReplyDelete@Sin - maybe because I make being AVK sound awesome???
DeleteI have a theory that most of us blogers are AVK or AKV -- because we're so attached to talking and communicating that we had to strike out and blog to keep from exploding.
just a thoughts
sfp
I am touch deprived. I love hugging, being hugged. I don't get enough of it.
ReplyDeleteConversely, I have a LOT of personal space. A very big personal bubble.
I like words a lot too. I would love for Master or someone to hold me for hours. Or is that tie me up for hours?
I'm kidding, but it's true. I love being in physical contact. But not for hours, really.
And you know as I think harder about this...I may have to back off it a bit. I like *affection*...a HUG but not an hour long hug (you know the people I mean who hug and hold ON (and on and on and...) and that I don't like)....I don't like holding hands.
I don't mind playing fingers with people, but not the constraint of hand holding. weird.
thats it , im fucking weird.
:)
nilla
@Nilla -- but you're just perfect -- just the way you are
Deleteand I hate those over-huggers too.
sfp
yeah i'm definitely an AKV.
ReplyDeleteand i suspect you're right about bloggers being mostly A-something-something.
except the ones who blog because they've been instructed to.
hands up all of you who've lept journals at one time or another in your life.
see?