Saturday, December 10, 2011

Baking catastrophe!

So -- I'm at the BFF's house - and we're making the brandied fruit bars -- we doubled the recipe -- and

I guess her oven is pretty air tight -- and doing twice as much was a bad idea

I opened the oven to check on them and a big ball of flame came out

I have no eyebrows
I've lost a bit of the front of my hair

and a pretty bad burn on my nose

so --

this was shocking -- I've made these bars at LEAST 12 times before

never had a bit of a problem with it

so -- thought I should warn you all

I'm ok -- scared -- a bit blistered (I may have a tiny scar on my nose from it)

hurting

but ok

thought I should blog about it

PS -- made Sin's chewy oatmeal bars afterwards and they are AMAZING!

sfp

8 comments:

  1. omg - are you ok? How scary is that? Lucky there was someone else there I think!

    They do warn us about doubling recipes. But I don't think we expect it to go this wrong!

    -sin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did that with a gas grill once.
    Eyebrows, eyelash tips, and 1 1/2 inches off of ONE SIDE ONLY of the hair on my head.
    The day after a splurge expensive hair cut.

    Scary at the time.
    Maddening afterwards.
    Glad you're OK, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are ok. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That reenforces my feeling of no baking, lol

    Glad you are alright.
    smiles
    butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all -- well -- 10 hours later -- it still hurts. I have a much higher hairline

    and there are bangs in my near future -- as well as quite a bit of time drawing in eyebrows

    It took -- hmmm -- 8 hours to make my first joke about it -- it went something like this

    "are you about done baking for the day?"

    "Yeah -- I was done when my head caught on fire"

    although I'm only at the stage where it's funny to me. --

    the blister on my nose is going to be ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! I once had an oven that liked to throw fireballs...It made me change my stance on receiving kitchen appliances as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, just now seeing this... Glad you're ok. How scary!!!

    aisha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg! So glad your ok.

    How awful.

    Hugs,
    mouse

    ReplyDelete